10 reasons why everybody should own a greenhouse.
Probably not everybody can own one because a lot of people live in apartments but even if you have a small terrace you can still own a little plastic one to put on your balcony and grow your own basil, rosemary or even cherry tomatoes.
Now, if you have an area that you can put a proper greenhouse up then you should do it. There are many people (in fact lot of people) that actually have a big property with a lot space and still don’t have a greenhouse.
So why everyone who has the room should have a greenhouse?
- Grow your own food. Do you know what you eat? Grow your own food then you will. It is well known that all the fruits and vegetables that we consume have pesticides. If you grow your own food you will know what you and your family are eating. Probably now you will use your first excuse, I have no time. Many people think that planting their own food is a big time consuming but nothing is further from the truth. Maybe at the beginning could take some time but then is just maintenance and harvest.
- You won’t believe what a good therapy is. Gardening improves mental health and produces nutritious homegrown food. There is a great therapeutic benefit when you work on your greenhouse. Are you stressed? Then expend some time in your greenhouse. Planting is a great medicine for relaxation and stress relief. Even in the simple act of viewing pants (green) or visiting gardens can have dramatic therapeutic results. Gardening also keep you active and is very fun. Let’s not forget the reward, when you plant your own food and then you bring it to the table, you will feel a great satisfaction knowing that what you are eating is not only healthy but also you grow it yourself.
- Avoid and prevent food shortages. Without being fatalistic you never know when something like this can happen. It’s always better to have your own resources.
- Save money. Yes, you will have some initial investment but once all is done you will see how much money you can save by growing your own food. The cost of the seeds is ridiculous and if you learn how to do it you will be able to use your own seeds from your own harvest.
- Go green and reduce the ecological impact. Gardening in the backyard helps the planet in so many ways. If you grow your own organic food without pesticides or herbicides and using organic fertilizers you will avoid the unnecessary air and water pollution. Also, you will contribute to reduce the use of fossil fuels produced by the food transportation.
- Plant all year. If you live in a place where the temperatures are mild all year you will not have major problems to grow your plants. But if you live in a place where the temperatures drop dramatically during winter then you will need a good greenhouse. With a good greenhouse and a good heating system (there are many and will talk about later) you can grow your own food all year. Of course, there are some things that you will not be able to grow in winter but we will be talking about this in another post.
- Push yourself to be active. Planting, watering and caring for your plants will encourage you to get out of your comfort zone.
- Expend time with your kids. If you have children then encourage them to help you. There are many benefits that you can get from this practice. You will expend quality time with your kids and you will build a lovely memory. Spend time doing the things you love with the people you love.
- Teach and encourage the new generations. Planting a seed, nurturing it, mind it and watching it grow is the best way to teach our kids where food comes from. Also, will teach them the responsibility and discipline of look after something. The kids will value more what they put in their mouth, they will learn how to eat well and specially to take care of the environment.
- Reduce food waste. Do you know that you can use your home food waste as homemade garden fertilizer? You can make your own compost with your kitchen and garden waste. Eggshells, banana peels, coffee grounds, grass, leaves and much more can be used to produce the best compost that you can use to grow your plants.